With Ly Tu That’s simple, easy-to-understand way of making meat pies, you can make your own To Chau pies for the Mid-Autumn Festival reunion.
Besides the moon cakes with glossy brown crust, printed on the surface with auspicious words and various fillings such as salted eggs, green beans, red beans, etc., China also has a kind of meat pies. Usually enjoyed on Mid-Autumn Festival.
Meat pies (also known as Suzhou version mooncakes) usually have a thin and multi-layered crust that will fall off with just a light touch. If Beijing people often use sweet filling with pureed red beans, in Suzhou, people often add salty filling including pork, green onions and spices.
After being baked, the cake will have a beautiful golden brown color. The crust is neither too thick nor too thin, the taste inside is both sweet from the meat and has a rich, salty taste that is easy to eat. Previously, meat pies were only made on the Mid-Autumn Festival, but now you can find this specialty cake at any time of the year in Suzhou.
If you can’t find these special cakes to enjoy watching the moon on the full moon day of August, you can also learn from Ly Tu That to make delicious meat pies right in your kitchen.
Ingredients to be prepared
– Flour: 100 grams
– Pork fat: 85 grams
– Powdered sugar: 20 grams
– Purple sweet potato powder: 20 grams
– Wheat flour number 8 (low gluten flour): 70 grams
– Pickles, ginger, scallions
– Seasoning: salt, cooking wine, soy sauce, sugar
Steps to make Suzhou-style meat pie
Step 1: Prepare the crust
– Mix a mixture of 100 grams of baking powder, 40 ml of water, 40 grams of lard and 20 grams of powdered sugar.
– After kneading the dough into a soft, smooth, moist, but not sticky mass, it is okay
– Mix 45 grams of lard, 20 grams of purple sweet potato flour, 70 grams of low gluten flour and knead until it forms a beautiful purple plastic mass.
– Divide the two types of dough into small parts, use your hands to flatten the white dough to cover the purple dough, seal the edges of the dough and roll into round balls, then let this mixture rest for about half an hour.
Step 2: Roll the dough
– Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough, roll it up and let it rest for about half an hour.
– After letting the dough rest, use a rolling pin to continue rolling. Repeat this step so that the cake has many layers and the crust is not too thick.
Step 3: Prepare the cake
– Ginger, scallions, pickles, after being washed, cut them into small pieces.
– Cut the meat into small pieces and then mince the ginger and scallions until fine.
– Add finely chopped pickles, soy sauce, cooking wine, sugar, and salt and mix until a smooth mass is formed.
Step 4: Create the cake shape
– Use your hands to flatten the dough, put the smooth part out and put the filling in the middle and then squeeze the dough to seal the mouth.
– Put the cake in the palm of your hand, roll it many times to make the cake round and more beautiful.
Step 5: Bake the cake
If you don’t have a wood-burning oven like Ly Tu That, you can use an oven instead.
– Wood-burning oven: Put the cake on the oven, bake at low temperature for about 20 minutes
– Oven mitts:
. Use a brush to spread the egg evenly on the surface of the cake so that the crust has a nice color, place the cake on a tray and bake at 180 degrees for 15 minutes.
. Take the cake out and spread another layer of egg on the shell and continue to bake for 15 minutes at a temperature of 180.
The cakes after being baked will have an extremely attractive aroma, thin crust and rich filling.
Hopefully with the above simple method, you will have beautiful and delicious meat pies to enjoy with your family during this year’s Mid-Autumn Festival.